
It was just a normal Sunday. In fact, it was shaping up to be a quite nice Sunday. I was actually able to shower, fix my hair AND do my make-up. Plus, I looked fabulous in my new Gap sweater, skirt, patterned tights, and cute kitten heels. My toddler was contently playing with his matchbox car on the seat next to me was not requiring any supervision at the moment. Life was great. I sat back into my seat and relaxed. Suddenly, I heard a faint "clink". I glanced over at Munchkin and groaned. His car had dropped behind his chair. The only way for me to get it would be for me to either stand up and walk behind the chair to pick it up or for me to kneel up on the chair and reach down to get it. As cute as I looked, I didn't really want to display myself in either of the above mentioned ways. As I contemplated these two unfavorable options, a much more favorable third option occurred to me. Why not let the Munchkin go and pick up his car? I had Munchkin go walk around our chairs and pick up his car. He was quite pleased and excited to do this because he is normally not allowed outside the confines of our row. 'Losing' his car was now a fabulous excuse to gain some freedom. Munchkin began again playing with his car and let it fall off the back of the chair. Once more I found myself unable to muster the energy to pick up the car myself so I let Munchkin go and get it. He picked it up and returned to our row. I was starting to feel pretty relaxed and proud. "My! What an amazing parent I am" I applauded myself. "My child has learned to stay by our row in church". My victory was short lived.
A third time Munchkin 'dropped' his car off the back of his chair. He went, retrieved his car and then tramped back to our row. This time however, he paused just before entering our row of chairs, looked over at me for a split second and then took off running at full speed. A smile stretched from ear to ear as his little legs wheeled him forward at an inhuman speed. A shriek of laugher escaped his lips as he dashed forward. I must mention that we were sitting in the overflow section of the chapel, in the very back row. I quickly calculated my options and decided the only thing to do was to make a run for it myself. I stood up, took a deep breath, kicked off my heels, and took off. As I raced after him Munchkin seemed to sense pursuit. His legs propelled him faster and faster towards his goal of the stand where both the pulpit and the piano were waiting, just asking to be played with. Thankfully, I finally caught the little Munchkin a foot shy of the stand, scooped him up and slid out the door and into the hall.
This counts as my daily run no?
2 comments:
Haha! I love the sacrament meeting dash to the pulpit (probably only because I dont' have children yet).
Lovely description. His age sure if a fun one for church... Glad to see you caught him in time!
Post a Comment