10 Things I Really Got into in the 80s/early 90s.
- Slap bracelets. So cool. One size fits all. Easy to put on... life doesn't get much better.
- Stretch pants. These of course were worn with an oversized shirt. I always wanted to get either the kinds with the stirrup on them or the kind with lace on the bottom. My mom, however, wouldn't let me (thank you mom).
- Permed hair, pouffy bangs. Come on, who didn't do this? My problem of course was that my hair in thin so I couldn't get the BIG pouff that so man girls could. Mine was more like two mini ringlets that went horizontally along my scalp (one curled up and one curled down of course though because I'm totally fashion aware).
- My beaded bandanna. I think this was made as a home craft project. We took a bandanna, folded it into a triangle, then cut the edges into strips that were about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long. Then you put beads on the strips. I wore my bandanna tied over the top of my jeans on my hips.
- While I don't recall ever personally doing this, I do recall thinking it was very cool and wishing I was confident enough to pull it off. Anyone remember the rolled sock look? I just wasn't comfortable exposing that much ankle, it made my legs look fat :)
- Denim shirt. Enough said.
- Marithe Fracios Gerbaud jeans. These were almost as cool as the Espirit jeans that everyone had, but my mom wouldn't spring for. I could get these at the VF outlet or Downeast outfiters. Of course the obligatory horizontal brand name across the zipper was a must.
- Speaking of zippers, I had a plastic zipper necklace that I loved. It was electric blue (remember that color?) and looked, well, like a zipper. It was too cool for words.
- Saying "Gag me with a spoon and call me Bill Clinton" when something wasn't cool. (I have since been told that this wasn't a widely used phrase and was perhaps confined to O-town. Alas, we try so hard to be up on the trends there).
- Big hair bows - especially the ones that were made with a scarf looped on the top of a barrette. We would go to the Dollar store to pick them out. They used to have huge vertical rows of barrettes to choose from. One of my favorites was made out of a scarf with brown and red small paisleys on it.
2 comments:
Oh, that brings back a wealth of (hideous) memories! Blech!
Oh, do I remember those giant head-eating bows. :)
Post a Comment