Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Ticking Time Bomb

You think I would've learned my lesson by know. Clearly I am not meant to be efficient. Every time I try to multi-task with household chores catastrophe strikes. The other day I was rushing about preparing dinner and trying to keep the kitchen clean while doing so. (I know just call me crazy). As I cracked an egg into my waffle batter, I noticed that only one lowly egg was left in the carton. Hmm, thought I, what a waste of space to have just one little egg in such a large container. Then madness stuck. Why don't I boil the egg? It will take up much less storage space that way and make for a tasty snack. Brilliant. However, I didn't want to dirty a pan by boiling the egg on the stove, so I decided to opt for the microwave. I took the necessary precautions - selected a microwave safe bowl, added ample water - however my brilliant idea was not to be. We were just sitting down to dinner when a loud BANG sounded throughout the room. We all whipped our heads around to see the microwave door staggering back and forth after having been blown open. Yellowy, melted egg oozed from the inside of the microwave and was slowly seeping out onto the counter. Two plastic door locks lay lifelessly on the ground, never to be used again. The microwave was, needless to say, kaput.

So I blew up a microwave with an egg? Hasn't everyone?

6 comments:

LeAnne said...

I cannot stop laughing! I am sure you weren't laughing at first, but you have to admit that was a great story. Plus you told it exceptionally well.

Keri said...

WOW!!!! That's crazy!

Amber said...

Oh my goodness. That is too funny. I have never attempted to boil and egg in the microwave but I did try cooking acorns for a craft. Not a good idea. However, I am still able to use it. You are too funny.

Lucy said...

Thanks for the laugh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does stuff that seems obviously wrong AFTER the fact. Sorry about the microwave!

Sandra said...

Hahahaha! I can't believe that happened. Well, at least you got an awesome new microwave.

Jennifer Smith said...

You are such a good writer, this was very entertaining!