Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Bedtime Routine

I've read from many "experts" that is important for kids to have a set routine each time they go to bed. Well the Munchkin certainly has a set routine. However, as I was putting him to bed tonight, I realized parts of his routine are kind of ... well what I would consider unconventional. Here is it:
  1. Take a bath, brush teeth, get in pajamas (normal so far, I know, but bear with me)
  2. Read books
  3. Get into bed.
  4. Jump in the bed until mom turns off the lights and tells him to lay down
  5. Get tucked in. This requires two blankets. One is a soft pottery barn baby blanket that barely covers him from armpit to toes. This goes on first, followed by a quilt that has to be tucked into the side of the mattress.
  6. I then have to LAY (not sit, not stand) by the side of the bed to tell Munchkin a story.
  7. Munchkin always requests to be told a "green" and an "orange" story. I have no idea where this came from but he's pretty insistent about it. They usually sound something like this..." Once upon a time there was a green boy who lived in a green house by a green lake in a green forest ...."
  8. Then I sing him the following three songs in the following order:
    1. I Love to See the Temple
    2. The Battle Hymn of the Republic (huh? I think I have Jim Bob to thank for this one)
    3. Rock a Bye Baby
  9. Then he has to be tucked in again (squirming has untucked him), we put on his noisebox, his C.D. player, give him Lucky, as well as an old burp cloth that he uses as a "kleenex".
  10. Then he goes to sleep (usually after talking to himself for a few minutes)

3 comments:

Keri said...

Now that's a funny kid! Sydney actually has her routines & things that have to be done just so. It drives my husband crazy.

Lucy said...

Ha,ha! How funny! My kids aren't nearly that creative! Audrey knows which door to pound on next (mine for scriptures and prayers, bathroom to brush teeth). However, if something doesn't get done, oh, well!

Jerri said...

That is so funny Becca. He is so cute. You will be glad to remember that in about 20 years.