Wednesday, August 6, 2008

May Flashback

In May I tried to do a post a day with a top 10 theme.  Yeah, that didn't really happen but I had some good top ten ideas that I never got to use.  So, because no other fabulous blogging ideas are coming to mind......here's a top ten!

The ten most "EXOTIC" foods I've eaten
(OK so I'm not the most adventurous eater, as you will see)
  1. Sushi - LOVE this stuff.  However, I stick mostly to the California roll variety.  I have had some with eel sauce but typically I try to stick with rolls that have stuff I usually eat anyway.  Crazy I know.
  2. Escargot - I took a French class and we went to a french restaurant as part of our unit on restaurants.  Of course you have to try an escargot at a french restaurant.  It was strangely... springy.  The texture got me more than anything.  Every time I tried to bite down my teeth felt like they were bouncing on a trampoline.  I finally just swallowed it whole.
  3. "Seafood Salad" in Italy - OK this doesn't sound weird I know, but what it actually was was a bowl of small octopi and squid and such in like a vinegar sauce.  I didn't order it, but I did try part of an octopus.  It was surprisingly good, but not something I'd eat again.
  4. Tofu and vegetable protein - not really exotic, but a lot of people have not had it, and I have it on a frequent basis.
  5. "Tuna" - I don't know how you really spell this, but that's how it's said.  It's a Mexican fruit that my brother got for my family to try.  Not a favorite because it had huge seeds.  I don't really love fruits with huge seeds.  I can tolerate kiwis and strawberries, but that's about the extent.  
  6. Rabbit - this one was something I had in Europe.  I didn't really know what I was ordering, but after it came my tour director said it was rabbit.  I couldn't really stomach it, but I did have a taste
  7. Lamb - also in Europe.  We had Gyros.  Yummy and greasy!
  8. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Jam on top - this is a family favorite.  My husband throws up a little in his mouth whenever I make them, but whatever, they're yummy!
  9. Calamari - I got this as an appetizer in Seattle.  I wasn't paying or else I wouldn't have EVER tried it. But it was surprisingly good
  10. Rare meat - This was just gross.  I had it in Europe again and had NO idea what I was ordering.  I thought I asked for my meat well done, but when it came it was in a pool of blood.  Yeah, appetizing.  I was starving so I just kind of ate a little around the edges.  

1 comment:

Keri said...

Okay, some of those are pretty gross. For some reason, the rare meat seems the worst. Rabbit is actually very good! And I love fried calamari! You're pretty adventurous at trying different things!